Digital Native: a person born into the age of computers and digital technology. Usually born after 1995.
Libraries of the Future
Over the past decade or so the way that humanity accesses information has changed. In “Libraries reinvent themselves as they struggle to remain relevant in the digital age” David Sarno tells of these changes; and how our digital lifestyles affect these institutions. With the availability of high speed internet on every device imaginable information is just a swipe or click away. Libraries are reinventing themselves by creating digital lending libraries, computer centers, and even game rooms for the younger generations. With digital access to almost any written work, libraries are seeing drops in circulation; and are trying to find ways to accommodate the digital lifestyles of today.
With the invention of e-Readers and tablet computers, digital reading is at an all time high; consumers can buy books, subscribe to magazines and newspapers and have th...
... middle of paper ...
...s they struggle to remain relevant in the digital age." Los Angeles Times 12 November 2010, Web n. pag. Web. 23 Sep. 2013.
Cottrell, Megan. “Paperless Libraries.” American Libraries 44.9/10 (2013): 11-12. Library Information Science & Technology Abstracts with Full Text. Web. 4 Nov. 2013
Harris, Frances Jacobson. I Found it on the Internet: Coming of Age Online. 5th. Chicago: American Library Association, 2005. 161. Print.
Zickuher, Kathryn, Rainie, Lee, Purcell, Kristen, Library services in the digital age, Pew Internet & American Life Project, January 22, 2013, http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2013/01/22/library-services, December 10, 2013.
“Digital Libraries.” Issues & Controversies. Facts on File News Services, 8 Aug. 2011. Web. 23 Sept. 2013.
"The Future of Reading." Issues & Controversies. Facts On File News Services, 19 Sept. 2008. Web. 23 Sept. 2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Technology has become a major part of the today’s society. Most of the information that we see on the internet is derived from databases somewhere in the world. Databases are the key to many things in the world included video rental, libraries, e-commerce, booking a vacation, studying at college and many more. Database administrators and companies often have to make the decision of what database system would best suit their needs. Some important topics to consider are: licensing and cost, user concepts/functions, operating system capability, data partitioning and performance.... [tags: Technology, internet, e-commerce]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- Imagine yourself to be a typical parent in this century. With very little time on your hands, your schedule is jammed tight: meals to fix, kids to get ready to school, getting yourself ready, a job to go to, pick up the kids, bills to pay, food to buy, etc. On one particular day, one of your children notifies you that once again they are going to the library to finish a school paper. No harm in that right. However, perhaps you would think differently if you knew your child wasn’t going to the library to merely finish his report, but to also look at pornography he had been introduced to on the internet.... [tags: Library Censorship, Censoring]
2108 words (6 pages)
- ... The previous response handling will remain in a queue to perform the remaining operations. Now the node.js environment takes care of preparing the response, which can be a database call and which may consist of a callback function, from the actual application. Those operations are executed in a queue and are asynchronous in nature. Non Blocking I/O Model. Another feature of Node.js is its non-blocking I/O model. When the node.js web server receives a web request, it handles this request to a listener object to process the response.... [tags: websites, request, applications]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- In medicine, prevention is better than cure, and also in libraries good Preventive measures, particularly of storage and security should be on alert so as to prevent damage and missing books. The art of prevention is as old as human civilization. Since the innovation of writing, mankind has been faced with the problem of prevention. Documents have been existed in one form or the other and it is natural for man to attempt to securing, managing and preventing them from deterioration. Edoka (2000), say that “library emerged when the need arose to safeguard, exploit and utilize records of civilization”.... [tags: taking care of books]
903 words (2.6 pages)
- Technology has enhanced people’s standard of living, a major area where this is most noted is in the educational sector. Technology has made teaching easier in schools and has also enhanced research by providing students and staff needed information right in the comfort zone of their computer systems, the use of projectors for visual aid has most expanded teaching as students are not only able to know and understand but they are able to know how it’s being done. The use of smart boards and projectors have also enhanced the dispersal of knowledge from lecturers to students, also most libraries today are becoming electronic and online libraries are increasing rapidly, all thanks to technology.... [tags: education, projectors, websites]
1538 words (4.4 pages)
- Merrian Webster defines Publishing as: “The business or profession of the commercial production and issuance of literature, information, musical scores or sometimes recordings, or art.” This essay will review publishing from its beginnings in the 16th century, describe how technology in the 21st century has disrupted the profession of publishing. This paper will also discuss where we are today and the trajectory of the industry for the next decade. As publishing itself is a vast universe encompassing literary books, fiction, non-fiction books, newspapers, magazines, journals, periodicals, music, art, movie scripts, plays, software, blogs, etc.... [tags: Technology ]
2216 words (6.3 pages)
- Selection is the branch of collection management concerned with deciding which items will be added to the library collection and made available to the library’s users (Kennedy, 2006, p.33). Librarians have the difficult task of trying to balance their collections by identifying, evaluating and selecting items in different formats which caters for the needs and wants of the current and future interests of their users. Exploring the traditional selection process of library materials, this essay will discuss the impact and demands that the increasing availability of electronic and digital materials are placing upon librarians today to maintain a well balanced collection.... [tags: libraries, librarians, ]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- The days of the old-fashioned computer dumb-terminals that connected to a mainframe computer which encompassed an entire room are long gone. Most college students weren’t even born yet at the height of the mainframe computer generation. Desktop virtualization is the latest and greatest emerging technology that calls for a reinvention, of sorts, of those dumb-terminals. Although no universal definition of what a virtual desktop is exists yet, the basic idea is that one server or a number of servers run the application software that the business user connects to.... [tags: Technology]
1084 words (3.1 pages)
- Laser Technology Abstract: A laser is a electron device that produces a very narrow, powerful beam of light. The essential components of a laser include an active medium, an energy source, and an optical cavity. The optical cavity itself is enclosed by the resonator which has a mirror at each end. The energy that is put into the laser causes the atoms of the active medium to be excited to a higher energy level. When these atoms relax back down to their ground level they emit photons, which is part of a chain reaction that may cause other atoms to go through the same energy transitions resulting in light that becomes so intense that part of it exits through one of the mirrors a... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1608 words (4.6 pages)
- Surviving Technology Computers, Internet, electronics are all apart of technology. Businesses are being buffeted by an increasingly rapid rate of change. There are new products, new regulations new customers and new technology in almost every industry. Part of that new technology is distance learning. More and more of adults are taken advantage of it. It is very convient for that working adult with spouse and kids or the adult going back to school. However some adults are not as savvy with the Internet or computer.... [tags: Technological Internet Computers Essays]
4649 words (13.3 pages)