Attention getting opening: "People have a basic human right to decide the number and spacing of their children and the right to obtain the necessary methods to do so", this was stated by the General Assembly of the United Nations World Conference on Human Rights in 1968 (Mattar). But not all methods are applicable in the countries of the world.
Thesis Statement: It is a very sensitive and controversial issue, that's why I’m talking today about the morning after pill.
• Reason your audience would be interested in this speech: Audience will gain general knowledge about the advantages of the use of the morning-after pill as an emergency contraception.
1. Main Point A: First I’m going to give information about the morning-after pill. (What is the morning-after pill?).
2. Main Point B: Secondly, I’m going to talk about how the morning after pill works and why it is not an abortion pill.
3. Main Point C: and then finally, talk about its effectiveness and who can consider the use of this type of emergency contraception as an alternative.
Transition: The interest in the morning pill had increased in the last years.
Main Point A: FDA approved the distribution of the morning-after pill since 1999 (Emergency Contraception: Plan B, n.d). But even today, in some places it is not practiced and is disapproved, since it is not a simple subject, people is influenced much on their religious beliefs or opinion of others, also generally have a wrong image of the action of this pill. Then what is it?
• The morning-after pill is an emergency contraceptive that has many presentations. Its main component is levonorgestrel, some use progestin and es...
... middle of paper ...
• The effectiveness of this method is from 52 to 94% (Emergency contraception. n.d).
• Emergency contraception could reduce unintended pregnancy. According to the Guttmacher Institute, 51% of the 6.6 million pregnancies in the Unites States each year are unintended.
Transition: This topic is an indication that we are subjected to moral and religious positions that are not tied to reality.
Now just to finish I would like to emphasize my points.
• The morning after pill is taken to prevent pregnancy after having a sexual relationship that was not used a contraceptive method or it may have failed.
• The pill cannot be considered an abortion pill because its intake prevents the sperm and egg to meet, so there is not fertilization.
• The effectiveness of this method could help to reduce the percentage of unintended pregnancy.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience to chose life Abortion is when a mother decides to terminate her pregnancy. Many people have different opinions about this ethical and moral issue.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- Hello my name is ---------and here to persuade you to stop smoking. Smoking is not only bad for health it is also as bad for the people around you. Breathing other people's smoke is called passive, involuntary or secondhand smoking. The non-smoker breathes "sidestream" smoke from the burning tip of the cigarette and "mainstream" smoke that has been inhaled and then exhaled by the smoker. Secondhand smoke is a major source of indoor air pollution.How does this affect the passive smoker.... [tags: Papers Cigarettes Tobacco Argumentative Essays]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- ... "The time to build is upon us" (420). He uses pathos to connect on an emotional level and gain persuasive leverage. For example, in the speech he refers to the past as an "extraordinary human disaster" (419) and goes into detail on the pain they went through and says a heart warming pledge stating "we pledge ourselves to liberate all our people from the continuing bondage of poverty, deprivation, suffering, gender and other discrimination" (420). Mandela 's identity and the public 's knowledge of his past creates his creditability for ethos.... [tags: Rhetoric, South Africa, Nelson Mandela]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- Picture it: you pick up your phone to read your email. You're expecting a message from a friend, who is sending you some information on breast cancer, but when you check your inbox there is instead a message from the server. It says the message that was sent to you from the address of your friend has been intercepted because it contained indecent material that did not comply with FCC regulations of the Internet. You call your friend only to find that the police have come and taken her away, and she is now facing up to two years in prison and/or up to $100,000 in fines.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
2142 words (6.1 pages)
- TOPIC Why we should use seatbelt when driving a car SPECIFIC PERPOSE To persuade my audience to use the seat belt in car. CENTRAL IDEA There are three reasons why we should use seat belt when driving which are preventing death when an accident occurs, cultivate themselves too not violate the law and protecting our passengers. INTRODUCTION I. Seatbelt is a very important component when we all drive a car or other vehicle. The main purpose of seat belts is to provide greater safety to the driver when driving car but at the moment, people do not care about the importance of wearing seatbelt.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- Good Afternoon everyone; My presentation topic today is: why you should travel Nepal. Let's begins with Bob Seger's legendary song: "Kathmandu" I think I'm goin' to Katmandu, That's really really where I'm going to If I ever get out of here That's what I'm gonna do Kkkkkk, Katmandu I think it's really where I'm going to If I ever get out of here I'm goin to Katmandu...... Capital city of Nepal,Kathmandu is as beautiful as this 14 stanzas song. Wedged between the high wall of the Himalaya and the steamy jungles of the Indian plains, a small land-locked country Nepal is a land of snow peaks and Sherpas, yaks and yetis, monasteries and mantras, situated between India and China.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- General Purpose: Speech to Persuade Specific Purpose: To get my audience to be pro on legalizing marijuana Thesis Statement: Marijuana isn't harmful and should be legalized Organizational Pattern: Cause and Effect To the AIDS or cancer patient, marijuana is the plant that fights nausea and appetite loss. To the nutritionist, its seed is second only to the soybean in nutritional value and is a source of cooking oil and vitamins. To the paper or cloth manufacturer, it is the plant that provided much of our paper and clothing for hundreds of years and produces four times more fiber per acre than trees.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that aggressive driving should be avoided. Introduction I.Attention Getter: Speeding, tailgating, giving the finger and outright violence. Each day Americans grow more and more likely to take out their personal frustrations on other drivers. It is called aggressive driving and it is on the incline. II. Definition: Driving is a curious combination of public and private acts. A car isolates a driver from the world even as it carries him through it. The sensation of personal power is intoxicating.... [tags: Persuasive Speech, Argumentative Speech]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- PURPOSE: To persuade my audience that non-heart beating donations are barbaric and should not be part of our American modern day medicine. I. Introduction A. Attention Getter 1. Story about Mr. Robert Henry a. Mr. Robert Henry is a 45-year-old corporate executive who, while preparing to go to work, complains of a severe headache and collapses in front of his wife. As he is brought into the emergency room, he is seizing. He is quickly given intravenous meds to stop this. A computerized tomography scan reveals a devastating subarachnoid hemorrhage.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
691 words (2 pages)